Over 50% of customers prefer do-it-yourself services. So, there is no surprise that bots gain their popularity.
A lot of enterprises like Amazon, Google, and Starbucks have already invested money into bots development. They use chatbots to automate routine tasks like payments and customer support. As a result, companies have improved customer experience.
In this guide, we’ll discuss how to create a bot and make it profitable for your business.
Suggested read: Step by step guide to create your bot (Codelsss)
How bots trick us?
These days, it can be complicated to distinguish a chatbot from a real person. Chatbots become more intelligent. There are several strategies that they use to trick human beings.
- Asking again. If the person doesn’t hear the phrase or sentence, it’s required to ask to repeat. Chatbots tend to do the same. Moreover, they fill the conversations with such words as ‘Well’ or ‘Um’ if there are pauses. As a result, the customer is fully involved in the conversation.
- Becoming supportive. The main task of chatbots is to ask and answer questions. However, they become supportive. Nowadays, chatbots ask about the clients’ feelings and emotions. It leads to increasing customers’ trust and loyalty.
- Having a character. To make chatbots more human, developers tend to add a bunch of human characteristics. As a result, chatbots can be selfish or arrogant. So, people believe that they communicate with a real person. Of course, chatbots can also be happy or sarcastic. It’s curious, but we think that only human beings can have a personality.
- Fighting. It’s common to think that chatbots are polite. But, these days, human-like chatbots can fight for their point of view. Human-like chatbots can completely trick a customer.
Modern technologies bring a lot of innovations to the IT market. Chatbots aren’t an exception. For instance, Mitsuku (one of the most popular chatbots) starts talking about work-related issues every time a user says such words as ‘boss’, ‘job’, and others. It even can complain about work and its boss.
Human-like AI-based chatbots tend to trick people since they can analyze the behavior and emotions. Also, such chatbots tend to make decisions, depending on human behavior.
Reasons to Create a bot for Your Business
We’ve singled out four main benefits to integrate a chatbot into your business.
Better Customer Experience
Chatbots are available 24/7. As a result, customers get answers faster. Of course, customer experience is increasing. For example, a fast-food company from the USA called Taco Bell created a chatbot to automate sales. The company integrated a bot into a Slack messenger since it’s quite popular among office workers. The chatbot helps make orders in the restaurant and set the delivery details.
Simple Purchase Process
Chatbots can answer customers’ questions. But also, they offer customers to order right from a messenger.
Also, chatbots are perfect for fighting users’ hesitation. Chatbots can remember the previous questions and analyze this data. As a result, they offer more accurate things, and users want to buy more.
Chatbots offer a bunch of cool opportunities to personalize user experience. They collect and analyze customers’ choices. Having analyzed this information, they pick right according to customers’ needs and expectations.
Offering 24/7 customer support, chatbots can reduce the number of required workers. Of course, some questions require human expertise. But chatbots are perfect for answering FAQ.
By the way, chatbots work much faster in comparison to human workers. So, companies can save money.
As you can see, chatbots tend to bring a lot of advantages to the business. However, chatbot development can be time-consuming. Below we discuss why.
Type of bots
There are two main chatbot types — rule-based and AI, depending on their complexity. Let’s discuss them more precisely.
Rule-Based Chatbots and Their Benefits
Compared to AI chatbots, rule-based ones tend to be more straight-forward. They manage a bunch of tasks, following various scenarios.
Simply saying, these chatbots have a ‘conversation map.’ There is a list of questions users tend to ask and chatbots’ responses.
Rule-based chatbots are suitable for small businesses that follow particular goals, such as answering FAQ.
Advantages of rule-based chatbots:
- cheap development:
- ability to include media files.
AI Chatbots and Their Benefits
These bots use machine learning technology to understand the user’s question and intention. Then, they create a response.
AI bots tend to learn from users, offering better feedback. However, its development is quite time-consuming and expensive.
Advantages of AI chatbots:
- ability to analyze the collected information and customers’ behavior;
- possibility to communicate in several languages;
- decision making.
What type of chatbot does your business require?
Both rule-based and IA chatbots have a lot of advantages. And it’s impossible to say which type is better. You need to analyze your business goals and requirements to pick the right type.
If you need a chatbot to answer FAQ, it’s better to consider rule-based solutions. Such bots are perfect for fulfilling basic tasks. AI chatbots are great for more complicated functions since they can make decisions. As a result, they require less support from human workers.
How to Create a Chatbot for Your Business
There are five main steps that you need to follow to make a chatbot for your company, following your goals and requirements.
- Step #1. Consider issues the chatbot has to solve.
- Step #2. Choose an appropriate platform for a chatbot.
- Step #3. Cooperate with qualified chatbot developers.
- Step #4. Single out the required tools and technologies to develop a chatbot.
- Step #5. Test and deploy your chatbot into a chosen platform.
Let’s single out the details.
Step #1. Figure Out Customers’ Needs
The main reason to create a chatbot is to improve user experience. So, you need to analyze the customers’ expectations carefully.
After that, it’s easy to create a list of required features. Additionally, to reach success, you need to consider an attractive and straightforward design.
Step #2. Pick a Platform for a Chatbot
There are a bunch of platforms to integrate a chatbot like messengers, websites, and more. You need to consider users’ expectations.
You can integrate a chatbot to a company’s website or application. A lot of enterprises create chatbots for Facebook Messenger, Skype, and others.
Step #3. Cooperate with Experience Developers for Chatbot Development
Wanting to create a custom chatbot, you need to work with qualified developers. There are three main ways to hire a development team — cooperate with freelancers, hire in-house teams, or work with outsourcing companies.
Each option has pros and cons.
For example, freelance developers tend to have the lowest hourly rates, but it’s difficult to control the development process. As for in-house development, it’s quite easy to manage the team. However, there are a lot of additional expenses, like rent, taxes, and so on. These days, outsourcing development is becoming popular. Such companies usually have affordable hourly rates along with excellent quality.
Of course, it’s up to you to decide what hiring option to choose. You need to consider your requirements and expectations from the cooperation. If you need instant feedback from your development team, it’s better to pick in-house builders.
Freelancers aren’t the best option since they tend to fail deadlines. If you aren’t a tech guru, it will be difficult to control the quality of the final product. As a result, you can face a bunch of bugs in the future.
As for outsourcing development, this option offers great opportunities for development. A lot of countries for Eastern Europe have many qualified developers that get affordable rates. As a result, you can create a tech-savvy product at a reasonable price.
Each hiring option can change the cost to build a chatbot significantly. It means that you need to consider each option precisely and choose the one that fits your business.
To hire experienced chatbot developers, you can use the following services.
Step #4. Single Out Tool and Technologies to Develop a Chatbot
There are two main ways to develop a chatbot — tools, and frameworks.
Choosing the first variant, you can make some limited features of a chatbot. Frameworks allow building complicated solutions to meet all your requirements.
To give you a hint, we’ve listed popular tools for chatbot development. We’ll discuss these technologies more precisely in the next part of our guide.
- Flow XO
As for frameworks, there are also some options.
- Facebook Wit.AI
- IBM Watson
- Microsoft Bot Framework
Step #5. Test and Deploy
To reach success, you need to test the chatbot and deploy it carefully.
Testing allows avoiding a bunch of bugs. It leads to better customer experience. During this stage, you need to monitor the chatbot’s conversations and their decisions. Also, you can improve your solution.
How to Create a Chatbot: Platforms and Frameworks
These days, there are a lot of ways to create a chatbot. If you want a straightforward solution, you can use a platform for chatbot development. However, in the case of custom solutions, it’s better to use frameworks. The second option requires cooperation with experienced developers.
Let’s single out the details of every option.
Chatbot Maker Tools
There are many platforms for chatbot development. It’s better to pick a tool according to your business needs and requirements.
Such platforms tend to have limited opportunities so that the chatbot won’t perform complicated tasks.
Below we’ve listed the most wide-spread tools.
- Kompose. Kompose is a GUI bot builder based on NLP for Human-Computer interaction. You don’t need any coding skills to build your Bot. It has a simple, intuitive, and easy-to-use interface.
- Chatfuel. This platform helps make chatbots for Facebook Messenger. Chatfuel allows integrating such features as sharing updates automatically and collecting information from the chats. This solution creates bots that interact with clients via buttons.
- Botsify. This platform allows creating bots for websites, Facebook pages, and messengers. Botsify focuses on developing AI-based chatbots to improve customer support.
- Flow XO. Using Flow Xo, you can create solutions for websites, mobile apps, and various social media platforms. The platform offers many pre-built templates that allow making the development process faster.
Chatbot Development Frameworks
If you want to create a complicated chatbot, you need to choose custom development using frameworks.
Suggested read: Dialogflow vs Lex vs Watson vs Wit vs Azure Bot?
Such chatbots tend to fulfill all your business needs and requirements. However, their development is more expensive in comparison to chatbot maker tools.
Also, you need to cooperate with qualified developers, unless you’re a technical guru.
Below you can find popular frameworks for custom chatbot development.
- Facebook Wit.AI. Using this framework, you can develop text or voice-based chatbots. Facebook Wit.AI uses machine learning technology to learn from users. You can use this framework with such programming languages as Ruby, Node.js, and Python.
- IBM Watson. IBM Watson has a pre-integrated architecture that helps create custom chatbots. The framework works with a bunch of platforms like websites and messengers.
- Microsoft Bot Framework. Microsoft has created a framework to develop smart chatbots. They can listen, talk, and communicate with customers. The bots can be integrated into Slack, Facebook Messenger, Skype, and other platforms.
Choosing tools for developing a chatbot, you need to consider your business goals and requirements. After that, you can decide what type of chatbot is required — rule-based or AI chatbot.
It’s better to consult with experienced developers before picking development technologies.
Having a small business, you can satisfy your needs with a rule-based chatbot that can only answer FAQ questions.
However, in the case of a big company with various tasks, it’s better to invest in custom chatbot development.
The Latest Trends in Chatbot Development
Having discussed how to create a chatbot, let’s figure out the latest trends in chatbot development.
- Simplicity. Users like bots since it’s easy to communicate with them. To reach success, you need to develop a chatbot that is straight-forward, so users don’t spend time trying to understand how to work with it. So, it’s better to remain such buttons as ‘Main menu’ and ‘Start over’ visible for users.
- Intelligence. Of course, AI-based chatbots are more popular since they interact like real humans. People like to talk to bots, given them commands. This technology isn’t quite wide-spread these days, so users are interested in smart bots.
- Brevity. Nobody likes reading long messages on the go. So, the maximum size of the chatbot’s reply should be approximately 100 characters.
- Personality. Try to make chatbots’ answers as personal as you can. It allows building trust and gaining customers’ loyalty. AI-based chatbots show the highest level of personal services.
- Voice-based solutions. Such personal assistants as Siri or Alexa allow getting answers in the voice form. Of course, it’s faster in comparison to typing. So, users prefer talking to chatbots. You can integrate voice-based chatbots in your mobile app.
- Natural language. Speaking about AI-based chatbots, they need to understand people’s natural language. Users don’t want to create long questions, communicating with a chatbot. So, you need to consider Natural language Processing.
Successful Human-Like AI Chatbots
To give you a hint, we’ve decided to discuss chatbot existing chatbot solutions. They have already gained their population and reached success. Below you can find the top three AI-based chatbots.
ManyChat is a chatbot on Facebook Messenger that assists the e-commerce field. This chatbot has a bunch of cool features. For instance, the service is able to book an appointment, sell a good, or analyze customers’ contact details. Also, ManyChat can be connected to various tools like Google Sheets, HubSpot, Spotify, and others.
The company launched Watson Assistant in 2016. In the core of this chatbot is Machine Learning technology. It allows for an understanding of human needs.
Watson Assistant communicates with users, understanding their needs. For example, it can fulfill the required additional information. Additionally, Watson Assistant can redirect the customer to the human worker in case of misunderstandings.
I’ve already mentioned Mitsuku in this guide. It’s a powerful AI-based chatbot that can hold a conversation on any topic.
Moreover, this chatbot can understand the user’s mood and emotions. As a result, the dialogue is quite comfortable.
The developers claim that Mitsuku understands the user’s mood. Additionally, the chatbot knows various languages, so that it can answer with the customers’ language.
It’s interesting that Mitsuku starts using slang words if the user does.
Modern chatbots can perform a bunch of tasks. They can hold a conversion to entertain users. Also, they can complete a lot of functions, making various processes easier. For example, they can complete the order form, single out delivery details, and so on.
As you can see, chatbots are quite profitable for your business. However, their development tends to be time-consuming and challenging. Creating a custom chatbot, it’s better to cooperate with experienced developers.
Vitaly Kuprenko is a writer for Cleveroad. It’s a web and mobile app development company with headquarters in Ukraine. He enjoys writing about technology and digital marketing.
At Kommunicate, we are envisioning a world-beating customer support solution to empower the new era of customer support. We would love to have you on board to have a first-hand experience of Kommunicate. You can signup here and start delighting your customers right away.